Sunday, December 9, 2012

Reverb12 Day 9: Your favourite book?

What was the best book you read in 2012, and why? (And by "Why?" I mean: Why did you read it? And why was it your favourite? Although these answers could be one and the same...!)

The best book I read is Sophie's World, written by Jostein Gaarder, a Norwegian writer. It is an interesting introductory book about philosophical thinking and the history of philosophy.
The book of Sophie's world
Actually I have read this book when I was in elementary school. Of course, I cannot understand this book at all. What interested me is not the philosophy, but the story: who send Sophie the letters? Who is Hilde? And who is Alberto?

This year, I re-read this book and like it very much! On one hand, I get a lot of philosophy ideas from this book. From Socrates to Descartes, from Hegel to Freud. This book is a door to the world of wisdom. On the other hand, reading such a great book is enjoyable. I can jump out from the sea of mathematics formulas, forget the strict thinking pattern and relieve from all kind of academic pressure. And I can think about the intriguing questions like who are you? Where does the world come from?

I even plan to read this book again in 2013! But this time, I plan to read the English Edition instead of Chinese one.  It's foreseeable that I will encounter a lot of challenges when reading, but anyway, I believe I will learn much more by reading the this book again and will have a try!

The world is so mysterious!
Have you ever read this book? If not, I encourage you to read it if have time! Do you have any book that want to recommend to me? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment