Wednesday, November 14, 2012

LITANY

To my upright and tenacious farther! I always love you!



You are the aspen and the oak,   
the marvelous evergreen and the pine.   
You are the spartina native to the salt marshes
and the sunflower under the sun.   
You are the imperial lion in the prairie
and the free eagle soaring in sky. 
  

Sunflower


However, you are not the mimose in the grassland,   
the epiphyllum in the garden,   
or the mouse ready to escape.   
And you are certainly not the lamb flinches in the sheepfold.   
There is just no way you are the lamb flinches in the sheepfold. 
  

Lamb


It is possible that you are the narcissus blooming in the cold winter,   
maybe even the cactus standing in the desert,  
but you are not even close   
to being the mole always living under the ground.   


And a quick look in the mirror will show   
that you are neither the butterfly in the spotlight
nor the butter asleep in its kitchen.   


Butterfly

It might interest you to know,   
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,   
that I am the seed waiting to sprout.   


I also happen to be the dogged snail,   
the tinny grass swing in the wind,   
and the yellow pig hesitate at the turning point.


sgfsgghhhhhh
Oak
I am also the squirrel in yellow jacket,
and the skater's ski stick.
But don't worry, I am not the aspen and the oak.   
You are still the aspen and the oak.   
You will always be the aspen and the oak, 
not to mention the marvelous evergreen and—somehow—the pine.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Summer! Hurray to upright and tenacious fathers every where! I had one too! As I read your description of your father, I felt that you are so lucky to have him still on this Earth! You seem to appreciate him too!

    Yes, I laughed the metaphors you used for yourself! I wonder if through blogging you will grow to seeing yourself differently...transform yourself from being "the tiny grass swinging in the wind" or "the pig hesitating at the turning point"!

    What do you think? One step at a time? One line at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel very lucky to have such great parents!

      I think I'm not doing well in transforming so far. I have to reflect myself!

      Delete